When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, “The LORD is with you, mighty warrior.” (Judges 6:12 NIV)
On this Veteran’s Day Weekend, think of all the heroes of the Bible who were veterans of military battles. Joshua and David are first to come to mind. The great Judges of the book by that name are all known for their military leadership.
How can we honor our veterans this weekend and every day? Recently, I have been thinking about prayer as I have led others to think about a revival of prayer. My simple conclusion is that we should pray about all things, all the time, and for all people. Our praying, especially this weekend, should include our veterans. After all, think of the sacrifices they have made for us. Surely, we can sacrifice a few moments of prayer for our veterans.
How can we pray for veterans?
1. Pray for their healing. Many of our veterans carry physical scars. Pray that they will come to a place of healing. Pray for them to be free of pain. Often worse than the physical pain, our veterans carry mental, emotional, and spiritual pain. Pray that they will find their healing in the One who heals all hurts—Jesus Christ.
2. Pray for their families. Many times the families of our veterans suffer with them. Obviously, this stress takes an emotional toll on relationships.
3. Pray for their salvation. As with everyone, pray that the lost will be saved. Pray that every veteran will accept the One who has made the greatest sacrifice ever. Indeed, as recorded in John 15:13, “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
4. Pray with thanksgiving. Thank God for calling men and women to military service and instilling in them the courage to protect our country at their own peril. The thanksgiving prayers of the Bible come to mind. For example, as recorded in Philippians 1:3, Paul prayed, “I thank my God every time I remember you.”
5. Pray for our country to be worthy of the sacrifice of the brave men and women who have served.
(If you would like to receive an email notification each time I post, use the ““Subscribe to this site” link at the top of the right column.)